Cookies Policy

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

I accept this policy

Find out more here

Scottish Catholics Abroad, 1603–1688: Evidence Derived From The Archives Of The Scots Colleges

Brill’s MyBook program is exclusively available on BrillOnline Books and Journals. Students and scholars affiliated with an institution that has purchased a Brill E-Book on the BrillOnline platform automatically have access to the MyBook option for the title(s) acquired by the Library. Brill MyBook is a print-on-demand paperback copy which is sold at a favorably uniform low price.

Access this chapter

+ Tax (if applicable)

Chapter Summary

In the late sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries, a number of colleges were established in continental Europe for the education of Scottish Catholics. Although they acted mainly as seminaries, they also had a wider role in providing higher education for men and boys. It is known that at least 900 students attended the Scots Colleges in the period from 1603 to 1688. Almost 90% of the students came from Scotland; the remaining 10% were either sons of expatriates or non- Scots. The archives of the colleges, particularly the registers, provide much valuable information on the students which in turn sheds light on Scottish communities outside of Scotland at this time. This chapter presents some of the key findings from the registers in relation to these. With the exception of the Paris College, which was run by secular priests, all of the colleges were staffed and run by Jesuits.

Keywords: expatriates scottish communities; Scots college; Scottish Catholics; Scottish Jesuits; secular priests



Can't access your account?
  • Tools

  • Add to Favorites
  • Printable version
  • Email this page
  • Recommend to your library

    You must fill out fields marked with: *

    Librarian details
    Your details
    Why are you recommending this title?
    Select reason:
    British and Irish Emigrants and Exiles in Europe, 1603-1688 — Recommend this title to your library
  • Export citations
  • Key

  • Full access
  • Open Access
  • Partial/No accessInformation