The Southeast Asian frog Limnonectes limborgi and the closely related L. hascheanus have been considered direct developers for almost 50 years. We report that rather than having direct development, L. limborgi has nidicolous development (= eggs oviposited terrestrially and larvae are free-living but nonfeeding) from large, nonpigmented eggs laid in a terrestrial nest constructed by the male. Thirteen nests were observed at four sites in Cambodia and Vietnam, five of which contained clutches of up to 15 eggs or tadpoles. Calling males were in attendance regardless of the presence of or developmental stage of their progeny. Large yolk reserves present as late as stage 37 and the lack of organic material in the gut indicate that these tadpoles do not feed. It is likely that L. hascheanus also has nidicolous development.
1. AltigR. , McDiarmidR.W. ( 2007): "Diversity, morphology, and evolution of egg and clutch structure in amphibians". Herpetol. Monogr. Vol 21: 1- 32. http://dx.doi.org/10.1655/06-005.1
2. BrownR.M. , IskandarD.T. ( 2000): "Nest site selection, larval hatching, and advertisement calls of Rana arathoonifrom southwestern Sulawesi (Celebes) Island, Indonesia". J. Herpetol. Vol 34: 404- 413. http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/1565364
11. IngerR.F. , StuebingR.B. ( 2005): A Field Guide to the Frogs of Borneo, 2nd Edition. Natural History Publications (Borneo) Limited, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia.
12. IskandarD.T. , ErdelenW.R. ( 2006): "Conservation of amphibians and reptiles in Indonesia: issues and problems". Amphib. Reptile Conserv. Vol 4: 60- 87.
13. IskandarD.T. , TjanK.N. ( 1985): "The amphibians and reptiles of Sulawesi, with notes on the distribution and chromosomal number of frogs". In: Proceedings of the First International Conference on Eastern Indonesian-Australian Vertebrate Fauna, p. 39- 45. KitchenerD.J. , SuyantoA. , Eds, Manado, Indonesia.
18. MarmayouJ. , DuboisA. , OhlerA. , PasquetE. , TillierA. ( 2000): "Phylogenetic relationships in the Ranidae. Independent origin of direct development in the genera Philautusand Taylorana ". C. R. Acad. Sci. III. Vol 323: 287- 297. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0764-4469(00)00133-5
19. MartinsM. ( 1993): "Observations on nest dynamics and embryonic and larval development in the nest building gladiator frog, Hyla faber ". Amphibia-Reptilia Vol 14: 411- 421. http://dx.doi.org/10.1163/156853893X00101
20. MitchellN.J. ( 2001): "Males call more from wetter nests: effects of substrate water potential on reproductive behaviours of terrestrial toadlets". Proc. Royal Soc. B. Vol 268: 87- 93. http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2000.1334
21. OhlerA. , GrosjeanS. , HoyosJ.M. ( 1999): "Observation de la construction d’un nid chez Taylorana hascheana(Anura: Ranidae)". Revue Fr. Aquariol. Vol 26: 67- 70.