Cookies Policy
X

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

I accept this policy

Find out more here

INTERSEXUALITY IN THE BURROWING CRAYFISH PARASTACUS VARICOSUS FAXON, 1898 (DECAPODA, PARASTACIDAE)

No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.

Brill’s MyBook program is exclusively available on BrillOnline Books and Journals. Students and scholars affiliated with an institution that has purchased a Brill E-Book on the BrillOnline platform automatically have access to the MyBook option for the title(s) acquired by the Library. Brill MyBook is a print-on-demand paperback copy which is sold at a favorably uniform low price.

Access this article

+ Tax (if applicable)
Add to Favorites
You must be logged in to use this functionality

image of Crustaceana

[The problem of intersexuality was studied in the burrowing crayfish, Parastacus varicosus, by examining sexual characters of 142 specimens from Uruguay. It was demonstrated that all specimens had supernumerary gonopores, with a masculine or feminine gonad, from which gonoducts of both sexes emerged toward the respective gonopores. Under 22.6 mm of standard cephalothoracic length (SCL), all specimens (N = 105) had the same external morphology. However, dissection showed that their gonads were already differentiated, and it was found that 57.1% of the specimens were intersex females and the remaining percentage were intersex males. Thirty-seven individuals with a SCL equal or superior to 22.6 mm were found. Of these, 14 (37.8%) were intersex males, and presented the same external morphology that characterized the specimens of sizes under 22.6 mm. The remaining 23 specimens (62.2%) were intersex females, nine of which presented the secondary sexual characters associated with egg incubation. A possible explanation for this type of intersexuality is given.

Se estudió el problema de la intersexualidad en el camarón excavador Parastacus varicosus, a través del examen de los caracteres sexuales de 142 ejemplares capturados en Uruguay. Se demostró que todos los especímenes tienen gonoporos supernumerarios, con una gónada masculina o femenina de la cual surgen gonoductos de ambos sexos hacia los respectivos gonoporos. Bajo los 22,6 mm de longitud estándar del cefalotórax (LEC), todos los ejemplares (N = 105) tienen la misma morfología externa. Sin embargo, las disecciones demostraron que sus gónadas ya estaban diferenciadas, encontrándose que el 57,1% de los ejemplares eran hembras intersexo y el porcentaje restante, machos intersexo. Se encontraron 37 individuos de LEC igual o superior a 22,6 mm. De ellos, 14 (37,8%) eran machos intersexo, los que presentaban la misma morfología externa que caracteriza a los ejemplares de tallas inferiores a 22,6 mm. Los restantes 23 (62,2%) eran hembras intersexo, en 9 de las cuales se comprobó la presencia de caracteres sexuales secundarios asociados a la incubación de los huevos. Se propone una probable explicación para este tipo de intersexualidad., The problem of intersexuality was studied in the burrowing crayfish, Parastacus varicosus, by examining sexual characters of 142 specimens from Uruguay. It was demonstrated that all specimens had supernumerary gonopores, with a masculine or feminine gonad, from which gonoducts of both sexes emerged toward the respective gonopores. Under 22.6 mm of standard cephalothoracic length (SCL), all specimens (N = 105) had the same external morphology. However, dissection showed that their gonads were already differentiated, and it was found that 57.1% of the specimens were intersex females and the remaining percentage were intersex males. Thirty-seven individuals with a SCL equal or superior to 22.6 mm were found. Of these, 14 (37.8%) were intersex males, and presented the same external morphology that characterized the specimens of sizes under 22.6 mm. The remaining 23 specimens (62.2%) were intersex females, nine of which presented the secondary sexual characters associated with egg incubation. A possible explanation for this type of intersexuality is given.

Se estudió el problema de la intersexualidad en el camarón excavador Parastacus varicosus, a través del examen de los caracteres sexuales de 142 ejemplares capturados en Uruguay. Se demostró que todos los especímenes tienen gonoporos supernumerarios, con una gónada masculina o femenina de la cual surgen gonoductos de ambos sexos hacia los respectivos gonoporos. Bajo los 22,6 mm de longitud estándar del cefalotórax (LEC), todos los ejemplares (N = 105) tienen la misma morfología externa. Sin embargo, las disecciones demostraron que sus gónadas ya estaban diferenciadas, encontrándose que el 57,1% de los ejemplares eran hembras intersexo y el porcentaje restante, machos intersexo. Se encontraron 37 individuos de LEC igual o superior a 22,6 mm. De ellos, 14 (37,8%) eran machos intersexo, los que presentaban la misma morfología externa que caracteriza a los ejemplares de tallas inferiores a 22,6 mm. Los restantes 23 (62,2%) eran hembras intersexo, en 9 de las cuales se comprobó la presencia de caracteres sexuales secundarios asociados a la incubación de los huevos. Se propone una probable explicación para este tipo de intersexualidad.]

Affiliations: 1: Departamento de Ciencias Básicas, Universidad de Los Lagos, Casilla 933, Osorno, Chile; 2: Sección Entomología, Faultad de Ciencias, Universidad de la República, P.O. Box 1773, Montevideo, Urugay

Loading

Full text loading...

/content/journals/10.1163/156854001505415
Loading

Data & Media loading...

http://brill.metastore.ingenta.com/content/journals/10.1163/156854001505415
Loading

Article metrics loading...

/content/journals/10.1163/156854001505415
2001-01-01
2016-12-04

Sign-in

Can't access your account?
  • Tools

  • Add to Favorites
  • Printable version
  • Email this page
  • Subscribe to ToC alert
  • Get permissions
  • Recommend to your library

    You must fill out fields marked with: *

    Librarian details
    Your details
    Why are you recommending this title?
    Select reason:
     
    Crustaceana — Recommend this title to your library
  • Export citations
  • Key

  • Full access
  • Open Access
  • Partial/No accessInformation