Cookies Policy

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

I accept this policy

Find out more here

Nature of the transient species formed in pulse radiolysis of n-allylthiourea in aqueous solutions

No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.

Brill’s MyBook program is exclusively available on BrillOnline Books and Journals. Students and scholars affiliated with an institution that has purchased a Brill E-Book on the BrillOnline platform automatically have access to the MyBook option for the title(s) acquired by the Library. Brill MyBook is a print-on-demand paperback copy which is sold at a favorably uniform low price.

Access this article

+ Tax (if applicable)
Add to Favorites
You must be logged in to use this functionality

image of Research on Chemical Intermediates

Reactions of eaq, OH radicals and H atoms were studied with n-allylthiourea (NATU) using pulse radiolysis. Hydrated electrons reacted with NATU (k = 2.8×109 dm3 mol−1 s−1) giving a transient species which did not have any significant absorption above 300 nm. It was found to transfer electrons to methyl viologen. At pH 6.8, the reduction potential of NATU has been determined to be −0.527 V versus NHE. At pH 6.8, OH radicals were found to react with NATU, giving a transient species having absorption maxima at 400–410 nm and continuously increasing absorption below 290 nm. Absorption at 400–410 nm was found to increase with parent concentration, from which the equilibrium constant for dimer radical cation formation has been estimated to be 4.9×103 dm3 mol−1. H atoms were found to react with NATU with a rate constant of 5 × 109 dm3 mol−1 s−1, giving a transient species having an absorption maximum at 310 nm, which has been assigned to H-atom addition to the double bond in the allyl group. Acetoneketyl radicals reacted with NATU at acidic pH values and the species formed underwent reaction with parent NATU molecule. Reaction of Cl.−2 radicals (k = 4.6 × 109 dm3 mol−1 s−1) at pH 1 was found to give a transient species with λmax at 400 nm. At the same pH, reaction of OH radicals also gave transient species, having a similar spectrum, but the yield was lower. This showed that OH radicals react with NATU by two mechanisms, viz., one-electron oxidation, as well as addition to the allylic double bond. From the absorbance values at 410 nm, it has been estimated that around 38% of the OH radicals abstract H atoms and the remaining 62% of the OH radicals add to the allylic double bond.


Full text loading...


Data & Media loading...

Article metrics loading...



Can't access your account?
  • Tools

  • Add to Favorites
  • Printable version
  • Email this page
  • Subscribe to ToC alert
  • Get permissions
  • Recommend to your library

    You must fill out fields marked with: *

    Librarian details
    Your details
    Why are you recommending this title?
    Select reason:
    Research on Chemical Intermediates — Recommend this title to your library
  • Export citations
  • Key

  • Full access
  • Open Access
  • Partial/No accessInformation