Cookies Policy

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

I accept this policy

Find out more here

Rattan husbandry and its potentiality for income generation in the village groves of floodplain area of Bangladesh

No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.

Brill’s MyBook program is exclusively available on BrillOnline Books and Journals. Students and scholars affiliated with an institution that has purchased a Brill E-Book on the BrillOnline platform automatically have access to the MyBook option for the title(s) acquired by the Library. Brill MyBook is a print-on-demand paperback copy which is sold at a favorably uniform low price.

Access this article

+ Tax (if applicable)
Add to Favorites
You must be logged in to use this functionality

image of Journal of Bamboo and Rattan

This paper focuses on the husbandry of rattan, its processing, marketing and potentialities of raising the household income of the growers in the floodplain area of Bangladesh. The survey reveals that almost all the clumps (98%) are located in the pond and ditch site and around half of the clumps (48%) are found in the western site of the homesteads. Planting materials used for propagation are suckers and seeds, which are not bought from the market; rather, growers themselves supplied 72% from own source and the remaining 28% comes from neighbours and wildlings. All categorized growers, except the medium and large ones, tend the clumps where female and children were the majority (84%) of the labour force. All the growers, except the medium and large ones, are found to harvest rattan all the year round, while 82% of the growers maintain a three-year rotation. The contribution of rattan husbandry is on an average Tk. 1883 (about USD 32) per household per annum. It has been found that all of the landless and marginal growers (100%) market rattan by themselves, while all of the large category growers (100%) market rattan through middlemen.


Full text loading...


Data & Media loading...

Article metrics loading...



Can't access your account?
  • Tools

  • Add to Favorites
  • Printable version
  • Email this page
  • Subscribe to ToC alert
  • Get permissions
  • Recommend to your library

    You must fill out fields marked with: *

    Librarian details
    Your details
    Why are you recommending this title?
    Select reason:
    Journal of Bamboo and Rattan — Recommend this title to your library
  • Export citations
  • Key

  • Full access
  • Open Access
  • Partial/No accessInformation