Cookies Policy

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

I accept this policy

Find out more here

Reproductive characteristics of a lowland population of an alpine lizard: Lacerta monticola (Squamata, Lacertidae) in north-west Spain

No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.

Brill’s MyBook program is exclusively available on BrillOnline Books and Journals. Students and scholars affiliated with an institution that has purchased a Brill E-Book on the BrillOnline platform automatically have access to the MyBook option for the title(s) acquired by the Library. Brill MyBook is a print-on-demand paperback copy which is sold at a favorably uniform low price.

Access this article

+ Tax (if applicable)
Add to Favorites
You must be logged in to use this functionality

image of Animal Biology
For more content, see Archives Néerlandaises de Zoologie (Vol 1-17) and Netherlands Journal of Zoology (Vol 18-52).

We studied the reproductive ecology of a population of the lacertid lizard Lacerta monticola at a lowland location in A Coruña (NW Spain) from 1997 to 2002. The timing of the reproductive cycle was examined based on mark-recapture records of individual lizards in the field. The characteristics of the eggs and hatchlings were obtained from clutches laid in the laboratory by pregnant females that were temporarily removed from the study area. Our results indicate that mating took place between late March and July. The smallest female with signs of sexual maturity had a snout-vent length (SVL) of 52.4 mm and the smallest male was 50.7 mm. Sexual maturity was attained at the age of 2 years by 41% of the individuals, while the remaining 59% of the lizards matured at the age of 3 years. The laying period occurred between June and the beginning of August considering all years. About 61% of the reproductive females produced a single clutch annually, while 39% of the females produced two clutches per year. Females that produced two clutches were generally larger (average SVL = 70.9 mm) than those that laid a single annual clutch (average SVL = 62.6 mm). The mean clutch size was 6.4 eggs (range 4-9). Both clutch size and clutch mass increased significantly with female SVL. The mean egg mass in a clutch decreased significantly with clutch size. Hatching occurred between August and September. Hatching success in the laboratory was 71.7%. The mean SVL was higher in female hatchlings than in males.


Full text loading...


Data & Media loading...

Article metrics loading...



Can't access your account?
  • Tools

  • Add to Favorites
  • Printable version
  • Email this page
  • Subscribe to ToC alert
  • Get permissions
  • Recommend to your library

    You must fill out fields marked with: *

    Librarian details
    Your details
    Why are you recommending this title?
    Select reason:
    Animal Biology — Recommend this title to your library
  • Export citations
  • Key

  • Full access
  • Open Access
  • Partial/No accessInformation