Cookies Policy

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

I accept this policy

Find out more here

FDI in Retail Sector in South Asia: A Case of India

No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.

Brill’s MyBook program is exclusively available on BrillOnline Books and Journals. Students and scholars affiliated with an institution that has purchased a Brill E-Book on the BrillOnline platform automatically have access to the MyBook option for the title(s) acquired by the Library. Brill MyBook is a print-on-demand paperback copy which is sold at a favorably uniform low price.

Access this article

+ Tax (if applicable)
Add to Favorites
You must be logged in to use this functionality

image of The Journal of World Investment & Trade

Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) has become the necessity of every nation as it does accelerate growth in an economy. FDI is double edge weapon as it cuts both ways. It supplements the resources of the host country and also may replace resources in the host country. South Asia is a region wherein FDI has been restricted in the retail sector where as South Asian region is the region of shopkeepers. Hardly 5 per cent of the retailing is in the organized sector and the remaining 95 per cent is unorganized sector. Hence, the biggest issue in South Asia in general and India in particular is whether to allow FDI in the retail sector. Allowing FDI in retail sector would create a plethora of new and modern retailing to the consumers but may generate unemployment to the enormous people in the region. With this back drop, the major objectives of this paper are to highlight the scenario of FDI in retail in South Asia, focusing specifically on India. The paper, as such, is divided into six sections. Section I deals with the introduction. Section II enlists the objectives of the paper to be looked at. Section III deals with the methodology adopted in the study. Section IV highlights FDI scenario in retail sector in South Asian nations. Section V analyses a detailed study of FDI in retail sector in India. Lastly, Section VI includes conclusions that are drawn from the study.

Affiliations: 1: a) Professor of International Business, Department of Commerce Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, India, Adjunct Professor of Economic Theory, Monarch Business School, Monarch University, Switzerland,;


Full text loading...


Data & Media loading...

Article metrics loading...



Can't access your account?
  • Tools

  • Add to Favorites
  • Printable version
  • Email this page
  • Subscribe to ToC alert
  • Get permissions
  • Recommend to your library

    You must fill out fields marked with: *

    Librarian details
    Your details
    Why are you recommending this title?
    Select reason:
    The Journal of World Investment & Trade — Recommend this title to your library
  • Export citations
  • Key

  • Full access
  • Open Access
  • Partial/No accessInformation