Isolation and Characterization of a Ferritin cDNA from the Mud Crab Scylla paramamosain
No metrics data to plot.
The attempt to load metrics for this article has failed.
The attempt to plot a graph for these metrics has failed.
The full text of this article is not currently available.
Brill’s MyBook program is exclusively available on
BrillOnline Books and Journals. Students and scholars affiliated with an
institution that has purchased a Brill E-Book on the BrillOnline platform
automatically have access to the MyBook option for the title(s) acquired by the
Library. Brill MyBook is a print-on-demand paperback copy which is sold at a
favorably uniform low price.
Abstract Ferritin is an important protein for iron storage in cells. A hepatopancreas cDNA library from the mud crab Scylla paramamosain was constructed using the SMART technique. A complete cDNA sequence that showed high identity with the conserved sequence of the ferritin gene was cloned from the cDNA library and subjected to further investigation. The full-length ferritin gene of Scylla paramamosain (SpFer) consists of 767 bp and contains a complete open reading frame of 513 bp and a 26-bp iron-respective element in the 5′-untranslated region. The gene encodes a polypeptide of 170 amino acids, constituting a predicted molecular weight of 19.44 kDa and a theoretical isoelectric point of 5.24. The deduced protein shares 84% identity with the ferritin protein of the crab Eriocheir sinensis. Quantitative real-time PCR analyses revealed that the expression of ferritin was ubiquitous in different organs of S. paramamosain, including muscle, heart, ovary, testis, and hepatopancreas. The highest expression level was found in the heart, while testis tissue showed the lowest level. Ferritin mRNA expression in continuous developmental stages in zoeal phases, including Z1, Z2, Z3, Z4, and Z5, as well as megalopa and juvenile crab I stages, were also examined by quantitative real-time PCR. The expression level of ferritin was highest in the Z1 stage and lowest in the megalopa stage. This study provides useful information regarding the structure and function of ferritin and will play an important role in immunity and resistance research in S. paramamosain.
1: (DZ; KJ; FZ; CM; YS; ZQ; LM, email@example.com) East China Sea Fisheries Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Fishery Sciences, 300 Jungong Road, Shanghai 200090, People's Republic of China
Full text loading...
Isolation and Characterization of a Ferritin cDNA from the Mud Crab Scylla paramamosain
1. AndersenO. , DehliA. , StandalH. , GiskegjerdeT. A. , KarstensenR. , RorvikK. A.1995 "Two ferritin subunits of Atlantic salmon ( Salmon salar): cloning of the liver cDNA and antibody preparation" Molecular Marine Biology and Biotechnology Vol 4 164170
2. AndrewsS. C. , HarrisonP. M. , YewdallS. J. , ArosioP. , LeviS. , BottkeW. , Von DarlM. , BriatJ. F. , LaulheJ. P. , LobreauxS.1992 "Structure, function, and evolution of ferritins" Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry Vol 47 161174 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0162-0134(92)84062-R
4. ArosioP. , IngrassiaR. , CavadiniP.2009 "Ferritins: A family of molecules for iron storage, antioxidation and more" Biochemiacaet Biophysica Acta (BBA) - General Subjects Vol 1790 589599 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bbagen.2008.09.004
5. BeckG. , EllisT. W. , HabichtG. S. , SchluterS. F. , MarchalonisJ. J.2002 "Evolution of the acute phase response: iron release by echinoderm ( Asterias forbesi) coelomocytes, and cloning of an echinoderm ferritin molecule" Developmental & Comparative Immunology Vol 26 1126 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0145-305X(01)00051-9
7. De ManJ. G.1879 "On some species of the genus PalaemonFabr. with descriptions of two new forms" Notes from the Leyden Museum Vol 41 165184
8. de ZoysaM. , LeeJ.2007 "Two ferritin subunits from disk abalone ( Haliotis discus discus): Cloning, characterization and expression analysis" Fish & Shellfish Immunology Vol 23 624635 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fsi.2007.01.013
9. DurandJ. P. , GoudardF. , PieriJ. , EscoubasJ. M. , SchreiberN. , CadoretJ. P.2004 " Crassostrea gigasferritin: cDNA sequence analysis for two heavy chain type subunits and protein purification" Gene Vol 338 187195 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gene.2004.04.027
10. EstampadorE. P.1949 "Studies on Scylla(Crustacea, Portunidae). Revision of the genus" Philippines Journal of Sience Vol 78 95108
11. GrahamR. M. , ChuaA. C. G. , HerbisonC. E. , OlynykJ. K. , TrinderD.2007 "Liver iron transport" World Journal of Gastroenterology Vol 13 47254736
12. HarrisonP. M. , ArosioP.1996 "Ferritin: structure, gene regulation, and cellular function in animals, plants, and micro-organisms" Annual Review of Biochemistry Vol 56 289315
14. HentzeM. , KuhnL. C.1996 "Molecular control of vertebrate iron metabolism: mRNA-based regulatory circuits operated by iron, nitric oxide and oxidative stress" Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences Vol 93 81758182 http://dx.doi.org/10.1073/pnas.93.16.8175
16. ImjongjirakC. , AmparyupP. , TassanakajonA. , SittipraneedS.2007 "Antilipopolysaccharide factor (ALF) of mud crab Scylla paramamosain: Molecular cloning, genomic organization and the antimicrobial activity of its synthetic LPS binding domain" Molecular Immunology Vol 44 31953203 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.molimm.2007.01.028
17. LawsonD. M. , TreffryA. , ArtymiukP. J. , HarrisonP. M. , YewdallS. J. , LuzzagoA. , CesareniG. , LeviS. , ArosioP.1989 "Identification of the ferroxidase centre in ferritin" FEBS Letters Vol 254 207210 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0014-5793(89)81040-3
18. LiM. , SarenG. , ZhangS.2008 "Identification and expression of a ferritin homolog in amphioxus Branchiostoma belcheri: Evidence for its dual role in immune response and iron metabolism" Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part B: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Vol 150 263270 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpb.2008.03.014
19. LiuH. P. , ChenR. Y. , ZhangM. , WangK. J.2010 "Isolation, gene cloning and expression profile of a pathogen recognition protein: A serine proteinase homolog (Sp-SPH) involved in the antibacterial response in the crab Scylla paramamosain " Developmental & Comparative Immunology Vol 34 741748 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.dci.2010.02.005
21. Milne EdwardsH.1853 "De la famille des ocypodides (Ocypodidae) suite" Annales des Sciences Naturelles, Série 3 (Zoologie) Vol 20 163228
22. OrinoK. , EguchiK. , NakayamaT. , YamamotoS. , WatanabeK.1997 "Sequencing of cDNA Clones that encode bovine ferritin H and L chains" Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part B: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Vol 118 667673 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0305-0491(97)00277-0
24. QiuG. F. , ZhengL. , LiuP.2008 "Transcriptional regulation of ferritin mRNA levels by iron in the freshwater giant prawn, Macrobrachium rosenbergii " Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part B: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Vol 150 320325 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpb.2008.03.016
25. RecalcatiS. , InvernizziP. , ArosioP. , CairoG.2008 "New functions for an iron storage protein: The role of ferritin in immunity and autoimmunity" Journal of Autoimmunity Vol 30 8489 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jaut.2007.11.003
27. SantambrogioP. , LeviS. , CozziA. , CorsiB. , ArosioP.1996 "Evidence that the specificity of iron incorporation into homopolymers of human ferritin L- and H-chains is conferred by the nucleation and ferroxidase centres" Biochemical Journal Vol 314 139144
28. SchwedeT. , KoppJ. , GuexN. , Peitschand M. C.2003 "SWISS-MODEL: an automated protein homology-modeling server" Nucleic Acids Research Vol 31 33813385 http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/nar/gkg520
31. von DarlM. , HarrisonP. M. , BottkeW.1994 "cDNA cloning and deduced amino acid sequence of two ferritins: Soma ferritin and yolk ferritin, from the snail Lymnaea stagnalis " European Journal of Biochemistry Vol 222 353366 http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1432-1033.1994.tb18874.x
32. WaldoG. S. , LingJ. , LoehrJ. S. , TheilE. C.1993 "Formation of an Fe(III)-tyrosinate complex during biomineralization of H-subunit ferritin" Science Vol 259 796798 http://dx.doi.org/10.1126/science.8430332
33. WangX. , LiuB. , XiangJ.2009 "Cloning, characterization and expression of ferritin subunit from clam Meretrix meretrixin different larval stages" Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part B: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Vol 154 1216 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpb.2009.04.011
34. YederyR. D. , ReddyK. V. R.2009 "Identification, cloning, characterization and recombinant expression of an anti-lipopolysaccharide factor from the hemocytes of Indian mud crab, Scylla serrata " Fish & Shellfish Immunology Vol 27 275284 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fsi.2009.05.009
35. ZhangY. , MengQ. , JiangT. , WangH. , XieL. , ZhangR.2003 "A novel ferritin subunit involved in shell formation from the pearl oyster ( Pinctada fucata)" Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part B: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Vol 135 4354 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1096-4959(03)00050-2
36. ZhengL.2007 "The expression of ferritin mRNA induced by iron in giant freshwater prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergii " Marine Fisheries Vol 29 307313(in Chinese with English abstract)